We are pleased to announce that we have been shortlisted for the Chartered Institute of Marketing’s (CIM) Marketing Excellence Awards 2017 for our ‘Clean Streets Sutton’ campaign on behalf of Sutton Council.
Westco aim to make clean sweep at 2017 Chartered Institute of Marketing Awards
Tuesday, February 14th 2017
Now in their eighth year the CIM Awards are one of the most prestigious accolades in the marketing industry. We are proud to be recognised for our ground-breaking work helping Sutton residents waste less and recycle more.
Following our success at the CIM awards last year – where we picked up the award for Marketing Agency of the Year – we have been shortlisted in the Marketing Campaign of the Year category for 2017.
Together with Sutton Council’s Waste and Recycling team and our partner Ogilvy Change, we built the campaign around three key areas: reducing waste, re-use and recycling.
The Clean Streets Sutton campaign ran between March and April 2016. We adopted a range of innovative techniques to inform and encourage Sutton residents to think more about what they throw away. These included adverts on bin collection vehicles, a pioneering online behaviour audit designed by Ogilvy Change, public recycling roadshows and recycling workshops with local community groups.
The campaign achieved some impressive results:
- The amount of mixed dry recycling recorded in March 2016 was 39 tonnes higher than the amount in March 2015.
- A 90% reduction in the number of contaminated household bins.
- During the campaign, 321 Sutton residents aged 18 to 85 years completed an online test developed with Ogilvy Change known as a ‘behaviour trigger test’. This was an innovative and bespoke application where residents were shown pictures of 35 household items on an iPad to test their recycling knowledge and the speed with which they responded to information about recycling. The data collected provided us with detailed information about recycling behaviours and potential barriers to recycling.
- At the ‘Love Food Hate Waste’ public events the team engaged with over 700 passers-by on the benefits of freezing food, date labels and how to save money. Over 150 food waste pledges were made.
- Conversations about recycling with over 2,400 Sutton residents at a series of roadshows across the borough.
- Feedback has been very positive, with residents saying that the marketing materials were clear and helpful.
The full CIM Marketing Excellence Awards 2017 shortlist can be found here. The winners will be announced on 27 April.